Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Best of Sexy and the Little Things in Life

Hey guys,

if you haven't heard, Melbourne has been having some bizarre weather in the past week. As summer turns to Autumn, there were a few areas hit by hail storms. I did some research and found out that hail happens when a strong updraft causes the water droplets to get pushed above the clouds and the freezing level, when the drops get heavy enough, they start to fall. So, while it wasn't below zero on the ground, Melbourne was pelted with golf-ball sized hailstones. Craziness.
While I didn't get to see any of the hail, I did experience a pretty wild couple of days over the weekend with really high winds and torrential rain. I hadn't seen rain like this in a long time. Our courtyard at res flooded and people were out in their shorts swimming and throwing mud at each other which was funny to watch.

Since my last post, classes have gotten underway and I am getting into the groove of things. I attended Jarrad's funeral last Thursday which was a moving but good experience. It was a really nice service with family and friends packed into the hall. It was a real credit to Waitsy and the man he was. His friends all got up and told stories of their times together and it reminded me a lot of my highschool days back at Kings. The College bussed us down to his home town which was about 4 hours away, a place called Lakes Entrance. It was a gorgeous little town on the water and looked like a great place to grow up. I don't know what it is, but for some reason whenever I am at funerals I always think what my own funeral is going to be like, who would show up, what people would say. I know it sounds morbid and maybe a bit selfish so I hope I'm not the only one with those thoughts in my head. If anything, the service reminded me that I have to make the most of the time we are given, and to enjoy the little things in life. For example, I saw quite possibly the most immaculate mullet today on my way to the lecture hall. It was the definition of perfection. All other mullets were modeled after this one. Like I said, enjoy the little things.

Another thing that I love is reading the inscriptions on t-shirts from Asia. They have a pretty skewed impression of the English language so some of the inspirational quotes and blurbs they come up with are pretty hilarious.
Some of the gems that I have come across since I've been here:
-A sweater with "Rainbows is Destiny" stitched across the front
-a shirt with "I stole this shirt from a homeless man. Why he was wearing a shirt with this written on it I will never know " written on it. Where do they come up with this stuff?
- and a denim jacket, collar popped, with a big star on the back and the words "Best of Sexy" written in glitter.

I have started playing for the LaTrobe Soccer Club. We train twice a week and it is really intense. Luckily I have been running since I got here since the weather is so nice so I was able to keep up. We had our first game on the weekend against Monash University and we won 5-0. Don't ask me how but I managed to score two of the best goals of my career somehow while playing at left defense. I shocked myself. Trouble is, the coaches and my teammates might come to expect that kind of thing on a regular basis. I told them not to get used to it!

I also applied to be a Head Facilitator Carleton Frosh Week for September. My idea for the theme of the week was Carleton U: A healthy part of a complete breakfast with teams such as the Captain Crunches, Toucan Sams, Sugar Bears, Honey Bees, Lucky Leprechauns, Tony the Tigers, Special K's (although they would get ripped apart in cheer-offs), Vectors, Snap Krackle Pops, Count Choculas and so on! The ideas for cheers are rifling through my head. It will be interesting to see who gets chosen for the positions. I just hope whoever makes the decisions does so with as little predisposition and opinion and awards the candidates based on merit rather than social ties as can be the case with these kinds of things. Alea Jacta Est.

Well, I better wrap it up about there. Hopefully by my next post I will have a job to start earning some pocket money so that I will hopefully be able to do all of the ambitious things on my list by the time I leave this country. Donations are welcome. Wish me luck!

Love,
D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love...